Here are my 10 favourite Sicilian foods:
1. Sicilian antipasti – they are full of contrasting flavours: caponata – a ratatouille of vegetables (usually aubergines, green olives and peppers) in a sweet and sour sauce, stuffed sardines, herring, salumi and a variety of cheeses.
|Antipasti from Trattoria Iblantica in Ragusa Ibla|
|Antipasti from Trattoria De Fiore in Catania|
|Cavatelli, pesce spada e zucchine|
4. Sicilian cheeses – especially Caciocavallo – a firm cow’s milk cheese, Pecorino – a sheep’s milk cheese flavoured with peppercorns and Provola dei Nebrodi - an aged cow’s milk cheese.
5. Pasta dishes: Pasta alla Norma – fried aubergines (melanzane) with sweet Pachino tomatoes, basil, garlic, onion and ricotta salata tossed in pasta.
|Pasta alla Norma|
from Ristorante il Barocco - Ragusa Ibla
Another delicious pasta dish is Ravioli al pesto di pistacchi - ravioli filled with fresh ricotta and covered with a pesto made of pistachios from Bronte, then dusted with cocoa powder.
|Ravioli ricotta al Pesto di Pistacchi|
6. Gelato – Gelati DiVini in Ragusa Ibla serve wine-flavoured ice-creams. I had an unforgettable Brachetto d’Acqui along with mandorle tostate (toasted almonds).
|Arancino from Catania|
9. Warm brioche buns filled with gelato made an indulgent breakfast treat – a Sicilian specialty.
|Brioche Calde con Gelato|
10. Risotto ai frutti di mare – with mussels, shrimp, squid and clams - the best risotto I’ve ever had!
|Risotto from Trattoria Vecchi Sapori in Catania|
Here is a clickable link to reader Paul's great recommendations for food in Sicily - in particular the use of wild foods such as fennel, asparagus, prickly pears, capers, sweet chestnuts and mushrooms. http://www.wildfoodandrecipes.co.uk/2010_09_01_archive.html